httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Why is 1.3 still on the download page?
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:37:45 GMT
On 3/21/2011 10:51 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> [...]
mean we don't want to have the 1.3 docs up at all any more?

>>> That's a matter for discussion, yes.
>>>
>>> If not now, then choosing some arbitrary date in the future where they
>>> would no longer be published on the site.  For lack of any other and to
>>> start a discussion, April 30th 2012 might
>>
>> ...work, given it's the 10th anniversary of the GA of httpd 2.0.
>

> I tend to think that that deadline should be "when nobody is using 1.3 any more". I don't
see any clear advantage to removing those docs entirely. What problem would we be solving
by doing that?

Well infra did recently slap all projects on their mirrored contents (/dist/tlp/)
contents, and 1.3 is now available from archive.apache.org so httpd has done its
part to clean that up.

But no word that the resources we host (and are unmirrored) are a problem right
now, so leaving these up for historical reference seems sane for now.

The counterargument is that continuing to offer resources could give users some
false sense of continuity.  Hopefully the other changes to the httpd.a.o site
will have a sufficient impact.  If people have to figure out what their httpd 1.3
config had meant, while porting it to 2.x, this is a good resource to keep.