httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: ABOUT_APACHE
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:37:50 GMT
On Mar 29, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Vincent Bray wrote:

>>> += poirier, just fixed.
>>
>> I've added Dan to the list, but we need to define who is in this list. Is it the
PMC? Is it all committers?  Is it everyone who's ever contributed a patch? Lists of names
always miss someone.

> Why not just link to here? http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/

No.  This is a very old discussion.  Credit belongs with the artifacts,
not with the current state of our website.

We can create a CREDITS file that has a long list of contributors and
the current group at time of publication, and *then* the ABOUT_APACHE
document (yes, it is correctly named) can describe just the current
project/foundation and how to contribute (or provide links if you like).

Lacking proper credits caused a shitstorm of ill will in the early
Apache project.  Failing to maintain it is one of the reasons we
don't get much new blood.  But it isn't going to edit itself.
Rich did a good job of making just the minimum changes.  If anyone
wants to fix the whole caboodle, then it requires going through all
of the old CHANGES files and extracting the proper credits, which
I can say is a very thankless job (having been the one to do it first).

....Roy