httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PR 49313: Using filters is a mess.
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 01:00:42 GMT

On 3 Feb 2011, at 00:27, Igor Galić wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> while by far not complete, I started out to fix 49312 for mod_deflate.xml

Funnily enough, so did I.  Then I set to thinking about it rather than just commit.

> +        # Declare filter<br />
> +        FilterDeclare COMPRESS<br />
> +        FilterProvider COMPRESS DEFLATE resp=Content-Type $text/<br />

That would be Apache 2.2 syntax.  Replaced by ap_expr in trunk.

> Now, that's an easy fix, or a good start anyway..
> But what do we do with Set(In|Out)putFilter? They're defined in core.
> Their counter-parts Remove(In|Out)putFilter however are part of mod_mime.
>
> All of this is very counterintuitive, not to say confusing, especially
> considering that we're recommending mod_filter over all of these.

Yeah, it's a mess.  Less so in trunk than in 2.2, but still a mess.
AddOutputFilterByType is now in mod_filter.  Other directives haven't
moved 'cos they weren't broken, though I guess that's not really
even true given the inconsistent semantics of set/add/remove.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html