httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: PR 49313: Using filters is a mess.
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 12:08:34 GMT

----- "Nick Kew" <niq@apache.org> wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2011, at 00:27, Igor Galić wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > while by far not complete, I started out to fix 49312 for
> mod_deflate.xml
>
> Funnily enough, so did I.  Then I set to thinking about it rather than
> just commit.

> > +        # Declare filter<br />
> > +        FilterDeclare COMPRESS<br />
> > +        FilterProvider COMPRESS DEFLATE resp=Content-Type $text/<br
> />
>
> That would be Apache 2.2 syntax.  Replaced by ap_expr in trunk.

How would that look like?

> > Now, that's an easy fix, or a good start anyway..
> > But what do we do with Set(In|Out)putFilter? They're defined in
> core.
> > Their counter-parts Remove(In|Out)putFilter however are part of
> mod_mime.
> >
> > All of this is very counterintuitive, not to say confusing,
> especially
> > considering that we're recommending mod_filter over all of these.
>
> Yeah, it's a mess.  Less so in trunk than in 2.2, but still a mess.
> AddOutputFilterByType is now in mod_filter.  Other directives haven't

That's good to hear. (And I was working on the trunk docs anyway)

> moved 'cos they weren't broken, though I guess that's not really
> even true given the inconsistent semantics of set/add/remove.

So this leaves us with input filters which don't fit into
picture and set/add/remove which leads to a lot of asymmetry
(reminding me a bit of http://www.zedshaw.com/blog/2009-05-29.html)

> --
> Nick Kew
>
> Available for work, contract or permanent
> http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org