httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "RunningMultipleApacheInstances" by FernanAguero
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:28:36 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "RunningMultipleApacheInstances" page has been changed by FernanAguero.
The comment on this change is: trying to clarify the situation of this recipe in Debian/Ubuntu.
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/RunningMultipleApacheInstances?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

  = Running Multiple Apache Instances =

- This is a [[RecipeRequests]]. It currently contains what I think I'd want to be here. The
FreeBSD section is essentially done, although I'd appreaciate review by a peer, suggestions,
etc.
+ This is a [[RecipeRequests]]. It currently contains what I think I'd want to be here. The
FreeBSD section is essentially done, although I'd appreciate review by a peer, suggestions,
etc.

  The Ubuntu section is a work in progress, because I've never done this in Ubuntu, and I'm
not really sure if it will be as easy to do as in FreeBSD. Please expand, add, suggest, and
help complete this Recipe!.

@@ -197, +197 @@

  '''3. Configure the system to launch the apache instances after boot'''

- I'm not sure this will be similar (and painless) as in the case of FreeBSD (see section
on rc.conf above). The apache rc scripts installed with the apache port in FreeBSD are aware
of the possibility of different profiles. The ubuntu init scripts (e.g. /etc/init.d/apache2)
have hardcoded paths for configuration files and for a single configuration directory. These
will have to be patched ... unless I'm missing something obvious?
+ I'm not sure this will be similar (and painless) as in the case of FreeBSD (see section
on rc.conf above). The apache rc scripts installed with the apache port in FreeBSD have been
aware of the possibility of different profiles for years now.

+ Recently, the ubuntu/debian init scripts (e.g. /etc/init.d/apache2) have been updated to
support multiple instances of apache (e.g. multiple configurations, named /etc/apache2-$SUFFIX).
Depending on the release of debian/ubuntu you're using you may be lucky ... or not.
+
+ The Debian packager's commit is dated Feb 2010: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-apache-commits/2010-February/000295.html
+
+ In Ubuntu, the apache2 packages in Maverick (10.10) contain these patches:
+ http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/a/apache2/apache2_2.2.16-1ubuntu3.1/changelog
+
+ However the Lucid (10.04, Long Term Support Release) apache2 apparently do not:
+ http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/a/apache2/apache2_2.2.14-5ubuntu8.4/changelog
+
+ I'll try to complete this Recipe soon ...
+