httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] Update of "RunningMultipleApacheInstances" by FernanAguero
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:23:40 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "RunningMultipleApacheInstances" page has been changed by FernanAguero.
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/RunningMultipleApacheInstances

New page:
= Running Multiple Apache Instances =

This is a [[RecipeRequests]]. It is currently just an outline of what I think I'd want to
be here. Please expand, add, suggest, and help complete this Recipe!.

--
fernan

== The Goal. Or: why do we need to run multiple apache instances in one host? ==

Briefly explain a couple of setups where running multiple apache instances is required and/or
necessary.
Example: running different web applications listening in different ports, and using a reverse
proxy that forwards incoming requests (e.g. company1.com, company2.com, service1.com, etc.)
to the corresponding apache instances.

== HowTo ==

How do we configure apache so that we're able to start/stop/restart individual instances?
Lots of guides online start by asking you to compile apache once for each instance, and installing
to different local prefixes. This is a waste of time, and disk space.

In FreeBSD, a clever port maintainer set up a number of rc scripts that allow you to do just
this, painlessly. So we'll proceed to explain the FreeBSD approach firts, and then we'll try
to figure out how to do something similar in Linux (Ubuntu).

=== The FreeBSD approach ===

=== Doing it in Ubuntu? ===