httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: FAQ
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 16:17:07 GMT

On Oct 1, 2010, at 12:01 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:

> On 01.10.2010 17:18, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> * Is it even worthwhile to have a FAQ? I think it probably is, but
>> what
>> I mean is, is it useful to have this as a monolithic static
>> document, or
>> should we be doing something else here?
>
> I think it is worthwhile. We do now have Wikis available, which are
> an interesting alternative for producing FAQ type content. Maybe
> once can include an export of the wiki when doing a release and add
> links to increase chances of users contributing to the Wiki?

My concern with FAQs has always been that they become a substitute for
good documentation, but I think that we're long since past that. An
FAQ should consist largely of links to the doc that answers the
question, rather than rehashing the answer. However, the fact that an
answer is in the docs doesn't mean that folks will know that the
answer goes with their question.

As for Wikis, sure, that's certainly a viable option, if we are
careful about keeping the stuff in the Wiki correct and up to our
usual standard of writing.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com