httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: Advise for a docs-project kick-off
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2010 10:45:11 GMT
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 11:37:56PM +0000, Igor Galić wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Recently I've been looking at how to improve
> Apache Traffic Server's Documentation:
> http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs.html
>
> Initially it has been written using
> http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/
> with ``help'' from
> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/builder/
>
> When looking at the source, the first thing one notices is
> that it's HTML (with SSI) only.
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/trafficserver/site/trunk/
>
> From this fact arises the wish for change: To make the
> documentation more accessible to extension and enable easy
> transformation to different formats, such as HTML, LaTeX, etc..

Hey,

I'd be inclinded, if I were you, to wait and see how the CMS works out.  If you can avoid
a costly migration to that, it may serve to write the content of the docs now, and do the
formatting in that.

> I have considered httpd's docs-project as base, but I'm not
> sure how easily adaptable that is. From what I gather, most of
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/style/
> would need to be rewritten.
> My barrier here might be the lack of insight in XSLT.
>
> I'd be glad to hear about your experiences with this or
> any other comparably sane documentation system.
>
> So long,
> --
> Igor Galić
>
> Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
> Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Cheers,
Tony

Bolub's Fourth Law of Computerdom:
	Project teams detest weekly progress reporting because it so
	vividly manifests their lack of progress.

Tony Stevenson

tony@pc-tony.com  //  pctony@apache.org
tony@caret.cam.ac.uk

http://blog.pc-tony.com