httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Missing nvh docs?
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 23:28:24 GMT
On 2010-07-29 at 11:16, "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> "Everyone" knows...
>
> "If no matching virtual host is found, then the first listed virtual host that
> matches the IP address will be used."
>
> "As a consequence, the first listed virtual host is the default virtual host."
>  -- http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html
>
> But somehow, this concept never hit the directive docs of either <VirtualHost >
> or NameVirtualHost (looking at 2.2).  If anyone could whip some language together
> for those directive sections, I and some users@ would be greatful.

Maybe we should put a pointer from each of those sections to the
complete discussion of how virtual hosts are chosen at (trunk)
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/vhosts/details.html

Though I think the section
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/vhosts/details.html#hostmatching
ought to be rewritten a bit so instead of describing the implementation,
it describes the process in terms of what the user has configured.  I'll
take a stab at that if nobody objects.

Dan