Note: This proposal is for trunk, not 2.3/2.4 or earlier.

I propose provide a recommendation for providing examples.

conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}.con and conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}/*

Additional modules could also drop examples in the correct directory.

Maybe we could also replace the default httpd.conf with one telling the user to pick one from conf/examples/http and adjust it to there needs.
Ofcourse some good default configurations need to be provided in that directory.

Example of a default configuration that will tell users to configure httpd:
---
Listen 80

User apache
Group apache

LoadModule dir_module         modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule authz_host_module  modules/mod_authz_host.so

<Directory />
        Deny from all
        Options None
        AllowOverride None
</Directory>

---

The above provide a secure default that will only display a message.

Kind Regards

Jorge Schrauwen