httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Jorge Schrauwen <jorge.schrau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Default configuration directory
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 13:30:53 GMT
2010/6/8 Igor Galić <i.galic@brainsware.org>

> ----- "Jorge Schrauwen" <jorge.schrauwen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Note: This proposal is for trunk, not 2.3/2.4 or earlier.
>
> 2.3/2.4 *is* trunk right now, and, as it sometimes seems, far
> away - unfortunately.
>
> > I propose provide a recommendation for providing examples.
> >
> > conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}.con and
> > conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}/*
>
> A number of people have suggested something like, nobody so far, at
> least not that I remember, has taken the step to actually do something
> about it. Thank you very much for it.
>
> > Additional modules could also drop examples in the correct directory.
> >
> > Maybe we could also replace the default httpd.conf with one telling
> > the user to pick one from conf/examples/http and adjust it to there
> > needs.
> > Ofcourse some good default configurations need to be provided in that
> > directory.
>
> I'd like to provide some of those.

I'd would like to help provide them as well. But if we do something
like this, shouldn't we decide what kinds of defaults we'll include?
e.g. static, static with deflate, named vhost ready,... ?

> Are we going to provide (best practice) examples for external modules,
> such as mod_passenger, mod_wsgi, mod_php or similar?

Well the idea was that mod_xxx would install a default/recommended
configuration in the correct folder.
I have nothing against providing them aswel, but it think that may get
confusing for users if the drops in a example for mod_xxx but mod_xxx
isn't installed.

> > Example of a default configuration that will tell users to configure
> > httpd:
> > ---
> > Listen 80
> >
> > User apache
> > Group apache
> >
> > LoadModule dir_module         modules/mod_dir.so
> > LoadModule authz_host_module  modules/mod_authz_host.so
> >
> > <Directory />
> >         Deny from all
> >         Options None
> >         AllowOverride None
> > </Directory>

HTTPD
> > correctly</h2>Please configure your server.</body></html>"
> > ---
> >
> > The above provide a secure default that will only display a message.
>
> Might be a bit harsh....
> But then again, I'm not sure what a good default would be either.
> Maybe serving static content?

Harsh, maybe.
But it would force them to at least copy the default one. If we
provide one for static content and one for static content with
deflate. Or one with a single vhost and one ready to go for Named
Vhosts.
They have the chance to pick one that suits them best?

> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Jorge Schrauwen
>
> Reminder: SSL config for FIPS/PCI-DSSS compatibility.
>
> So long,
>
> --
> Igor Galić
>
> Tel: +43 (0) 699 122 96 338