httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: javascript in docs?
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:55:43 GMT

----- "Vincent Bray" <noodlet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 May 2010 01:56, Sander Temme <sander@temme.net> wrote:
> > Because 1.3 docs are straight-up HTML and are not transformed?
>
> Given that:
>
> * 1.3 is obsolete and won't need any new docs
> * Its docs are straight-up html
> * It would be desirable to avoid a server-side redirect (for
> mirroring)
>
> .. would it then make sense to write a script to add the html link on
> a one-off basis to each page?
>
> Given a mapping table it would be fairly trivial to do this in ruby
> using e.g. Nokogiri.

Considering a very recent report on IRC regarding our evil doings with
the 1.3 docs I think we should reconsider doing this statically or
entirely in SSI (if possible), for a number of reasons:

* The URL conversion is *very* simple
* Our JavaScript doesn't include a <noscript > so without JS this would point to the
same page again.

They are not necessarily our main target group, but:
* Are Crawlers able to resolve this correctly?

> --
> noodl

So long o/~
--