httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <san...@temme.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Default configuration directory
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:41:12 GMT

On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:21 AM, Jorge Schrauwen wrote:

> Note: This proposal is for trunk, not 2.3/2.4 or earlier.

Two are both the same until we fork a 2.3 branch.

> I propose provide a recommendation for providing examples.
>
> conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}.con and conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}/*

I agree, but with fewer subdirectories.

Rename the "extra" directory to "examples", and we'd be pretty much done.

We could drop a httpd-minimal.conf in conf/ with the content below, like below.

I like the 403 response: better than "it works".  Red Hat does something similar but with
a much longer document... your proposal would be short enough to access through curl.  Of
course, it's "Apache HTTP Server" without the D.

Edit the default httpd.conf to have the same 403 default response.

> Additional modules could also drop examples in the correct directory.

Not sure.  If you go and build your own server, httpd and others, you should also be writing
your own config.  The default config should have two purposes: 1) to start a bare bones server
to smoke test your build and 2) to be edited to fit a deployment.

S.

> Maybe we could also replace the default httpd.conf with one telling the user to pick
one from conf/examples/http and adjust it to there needs.
> Ofcourse some good default configurations need to be provided in that directory.
>
> Example of a default configuration that will tell users to configure httpd:
> ---
> Listen 80
>
> User apache
> Group apache
>
> LoadModule dir_module         modules/mod_dir.so
> LoadModule authz_host_module  modules/mod_authz_host.so
>
> <Directory />
>         Deny from all
>         Options None
>         AllowOverride None
> </Directory>

configure your server.</body></html>"
> ---
>
> The above provide a secure default that will only display a message.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Jorge Schrauwen

PGP FP: FC5A 6FC6 2E25 2DFD 8007  EE23 9BB8 63B0 F51B B88A