httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <>
Subject Re: Proposal: Default configuration directory
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 18:23:29 GMT
On 6/8/2010 4:21 AM, Jorge Schrauwen wrote:
> Note: This proposal is for trunk, not 2.3/2.4 or earlier.
> I propose provide a recommendation for providing examples.
> conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}.con and
> conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}/*

-1 (not a veto, but strong opinion).

Any number of vendors get this wrong, because they have followed our
instructional / introductory configuration format.

The purpose of the current layout is to jump start the user by
illustrating a functionality, with a limited number of modules.
It is not nonsensical for any real deployment.

Users must configure httpd in terms of

 * global server behavior

 * individual hosts

   * individual applications

And this proposed structure helps nobody.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message