httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Default configuration directory
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:05:55 GMT

----- "Jorge Schrauwen" <jorge.schrauwen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note: This proposal is for trunk, not 2.3/2.4 or earlier.

2.3/2.4 *is* trunk right now, and, as it sometimes seems, far
away - unfortunately.

> I propose provide a recommendation for providing examples.
>
> conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}.con and
> conf/examples/{protocol}/mod/{module_name}/*

A number of people have suggested something like, nobody so far, at
least not that I remember, has taken the step to actually do something
about it. Thank you very much for it.

> Additional modules could also drop examples in the correct directory.
>
> Maybe we could also replace the default httpd.conf with one telling
> the user to pick one from conf/examples/http and adjust it to there
> needs.
> Ofcourse some good default configurations need to be provided in that
> directory.

I'd like to provide some of those.
Are we going to provide (best practice) examples for external modules,
such as mod_passenger, mod_wsgi, mod_php or similar?

> Example of a default configuration that will tell users to configure
> httpd:
> ---
> Listen 80
>
> User apache
> Group apache
>
> LoadModule dir_module         modules/mod_dir.so
> LoadModule authz_host_module  modules/mod_authz_host.so
>
> <Directory />
>         Deny from all
>         Options None
>         AllowOverride None
> </Directory>

> correctly</h2>Please configure your server.</body></html>"
> ---
>
> The above provide a secure default that will only display a message.

Might be a bit harsh....
But then again, I'm not sure what a good default would be either.
Maybe serving static content?

> Kind Regards
>
> Jorge Schrauwen

Reminder: SSL config for FIPS/PCI-DSSS compatibility.

So long,

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 699 122 96 338