httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: The FAQ
Date Sun, 02 May 2010 22:03:04 GMT
On 2010-05-02 at 11:51, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> I started looking at the FAQ this morning, and there's an awful lot of
> garbage in it - broken links, incorrect information, references to how
> things are now in 1999, and compatibility with CERN and NCSA.
>
> So, the question I have is whether we should fix it, remove it, or
> leave it as a historical document. My inclination is that we remove
> almost all of it, and the bits that are in fact relevant, and sort of
> FA, move over to the FAQ in the the trunk docs.
>
> Unless someone objects, and feels that the 1.3 FAQ should be
> maintained as a snapshot in time, I'll probably tinker with this on
> and off over the coming months.

The FAQ link at the upper left of httpd.apache.org goes to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/faq/, which seems reasonably up-to-date
if a bit scant.  That page does have a link to the 1.3 FAQ with a clear
warning that it's quite out-of-date.  If there are other links to the
old FAQ, why not just point them to the more recent one?

If we're going to get rid of the 1.3 FAQ, we might as well get rid of
the 1.3 docs altogether, but I don't think we're quite ready to do that
yet.

Dan