httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: javascript in docs?
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 17:04:27 GMT

> Assuming that we can make it work with the various rewrite rules and
> stuff, here's what I'd like to see:
>
> /docs/ still goes to /docs/1.3/ for the short term. We update those
> docs to provide links to the improved resource. Later down the road
> (6 months? a year?) we start providing distinct 1.3 vs latest links
> on those pages, and then eventually move /docs/ to point to /docs/
> current/
>
> /docs/x.y/ goes to docs/x.y/  Duh
>
> /docs/current goes to /docs/2.2 and gets updated with each
> subsequent release.
>
> 404 goes to a helpful page explaining that the 1.3 version is
> abandonware, and here's a link to a redirection thingy that might
> know what you were looking for.
>
> The downside is that we don't get seamless redirection for 1.3 links
> (although we might in some cases) and so existing broken links
> remain broken until someone takes the initiative to fix them. I'm
> not persuaded by the "don't break links" argument. A good link to a
> bad resource is a broken link, by definition.

After some further discussion on IRC, I suppose I'll say what I really
think.

Having /docs/ redirect to /docs/1.3/ no longer makes sense. /docs/1.3/
should be a permanent redirect to /docs/current/ which should be a 302
to /docs/2.2 (or whatever is current at the time).

We'll need to have some sensible handling of 404 conditions. A nice
404 handler with multiple choices would be great. But the time has
passed to be serving 1.3 docs as our default response for /docs/
requests.

I'm going to send Tony a patch to make this happen. I think that the
time has come.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com