httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: javascript in docs?
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 16:46:24 GMT

On May 14, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Tony Stevenson wrote:

> If you intend to re-open the discussion of /docs/current - or
> something similar, it may be prudent for you to go through the
> mangled mess that is the vhost configuration for httpd.a.o (rewrites
> and multi-language support).

Assuming that we can make it work with the various rewrite rules and
stuff, here's what I'd like to see:

/docs/ still goes to /docs/1.3/ for the short term. We update those
docs to provide links to the improved resource. Later down the road (6
months? a year?) we start providing distinct 1.3 vs latest links on
those pages, and then eventually move /docs/ to point to /docs/current/

/docs/x.y/ goes to docs/x.y/  Duh

/docs/current goes to /docs/2.2 and gets updated with each subsequent
release.

404 goes to a helpful page explaining that the 1.3 version is
abandonware, and here's a link to a redirection thingy that might know
what you were looking for.

The downside is that we don't get seamless redirection for 1.3 links
(although we might in some cases) and so existing broken links remain
broken until someone takes the initiative to fix them. I'm not
persuaded by the "don't break links" argument. A good link to a bad
resource is a broken link, by definition.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com