httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Error messages
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:33:22 GMT
On 2010-04-16 at 11:25, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> 1) How long is too long for an error message? For example is something
> like this too much:

For a message that only gets logged at startup, I don't see any problem
with length.  I'd be a bit more conservative if a message could get
logged on every request.

> 2) Is there still opposition to putting URLs in error messages? What I
> imagine is a series of tiny single-purpose web pages that do nothing
> more than explain single error messages. So in this case, we'd have a
> page that has the error message, and explains the three possible
> causes of the error message, and how you'd fix each one. The error
> message itself would contain a URL to that page, IN ADDITION TO the
> message that's already there. That is, folks that for whatever reason
> don't have net access at the moment are no worse off than they would
> already have been had we not added this, so if the site goes down,
> they're not completely at a loss as to what happened.
>
> This solution has the benefit of a fully detailed explanation, but
> also has the problem that the URLs would tend to be fairly long, such
> as http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/errors/no_vhosts.html

I can see where those who repackage the server in commercial products
might not like having Apache URLs in all the messages.  And the URLS
would be a bit long.

If that won't fly, how about instead of URLs, adding message numbers?

E.g.

HTTP0023: NameVirtualHost %s:%u has no VirtualHosts...

and add a section to the doc with the explanatory web pages for
each message.

> 3) I suppose a third alternative is to log an additional message, if
> we're in LogLevel Debug, that has the detailed information. Hmm. That
> might be worth pursuing all by itself, even if the other two
> alternatives don't pan out.

Can you give an example of that?

Dan