httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mark Watts <m.wa...@eris.qinetiq.com>
Subject Re: Error messages
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:22:21 GMT
On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 14:40 -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > If that won't fly, how about instead of URLs, adding message numbers?
> >
> > E.g.
> >
> > HTTP0023: NameVirtualHost %s:%u has no VirtualHosts...
> >
> > and add a section to the doc with the explanatory web pages for
> > each message.
>
> My initial response is ick, but it would make for higher Google-
> ability. I'll have to ponder on that one for a bit.

Many commercial applications do this (Oracle springs to mind) and I
think it works well for the most part.
The key trick is making sure the error code reference contains *all* of
the solutions to problems that the code applies to.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower