httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:22:01 GMT

On Mar 14, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Lucien GENTIS wrote:

> I think it depends on the context : if we talk  about the server in
> its whole (build, configuration, source tree, etc.), it's "Apache
> HTTP server" ; if we talk about the behaviour of the server against
> requests, it's "httpd".

I think that if you read through some of the documentation, you'll
find places where it's not immediately clear which of these to use.
The docs tend to personify quite a bit: "Apache allows you to ..." and
the like. Also, paragraphs that contain "Apache HTTP server" four or
five times are very awkward. Granted, this probably means that the
paragraph needs to be rewritten, and I've been doing a little of that.
But doing a major overhaul of half the docs just to clarify a name is
a *lot* of work. Not that that's a reason not to do it, but it's going
to take a while.

So, all that to say, I agree with your assessment, and at the same
time, wish that I had let the discussion run its course before I made
so many changes. I guess they're just as easy to undo.

--Rich