httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:37:19 GMT
It appears that the majority is in favor of 'Apache HTTP Server' when
referred to in full, but there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus
of how this should be abbreviated, so that we don't have to say the
full name every time.

Example sentences:

In deciding what file to serve for a given request, httpd's
     default behavior is to take the URL-Path for the request (the part
     of the URL following the hostname and port) and add it to the end
     of the <directive module="core">DocumentRoot</directive> specified
     in your configuration files.

Apache is also capable of <a href="vhosts/">Virtual
     Hosting</a>, where the server receives requests for more than one
     host.

httpd offers several different ways to accomplish this.

Note in the third example that we have the additional complicating
factor of wishing to capitalize the first word in the sentence, and
being unsure of how to handle that.

Perhaps I'm making too much of this, but the mandate from Sally is to
stop using 'Apache' when we mean 'Apache HTTP Server', to do our
(small and ineffective) part in dispelling the public perception that
"Apache" == "Web Server".

I'm inclined to go with 'Apache httpd' in the above three examples,
even though it's a little cumbersome. It seems the best of all the
options, although it doesn't directly satisfy Noirin's criterion that
the abbreviation be composed of part(s) of the long form.

Thoughts?

--Rich