httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Lucien GENTIS <lucien.gen...@lorraine.iufm.fr>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:50:37 GMT

Le 16 mars 2010 à 14:00, Rich Bowen a écrit :

> On Mar 16, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
>> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>>> Please note, Apache httpd [always lower case] is the httpd (short name)
>>> application program from the Apache Software Foundation.  Apache HTTP Server
>>> is the title of the program.  The letters HTTPD in upper case are nonsense,
>>> because HTTP is capitalized as a specification and acronym, while httpd
>>> is lower case following the convention that the program is installed with.
>>>
>>> Introducing "Apache HTTPD" [omiting Server], or "HTTPD" or "Apache Server"
>>> all serve to further confuse this landscape.  And this is certainly not
>>> the work of the Apache HTTPD Server Project ;-)
>>
>> +1, strong preference for "Apache HTTP Server" in the vast majority of
>> non-heres-the-name-of-an-executable references.
>

> Oh, sure, you say that just as soon as I change the last occurrence of "Apache HTTP Server
(httpd)" to "Apache HTTPD". ;-)

> I honestly can't say that I feel strongly about this one way or another, but I would
like to know what the consensus is so that we can be consistent. It doesn't flow well to call
it "Apache HTTP Server" every time we mention it in the main body of the docs. So we need
to agree on a full name variation, and an abbreviated variation:

> Full:
> [  ]  - Apache HTTP Server
> [  ]  - Apache HTTPD
>
> Abbreviated:
> [  ]  - httpd
> [  ]  - HTTPD
> [  ]  - Apache httpd
>
> Are there other options here? Is this something that needs to go to the PMC, or can we
arrive at consensus here?

> --Rich

My vote :

Full:
[  ]  - Apache HTTP Server

Abbreviated:
[  ]  - httpd

Please no HTTPD, I think it's really confusing.
On the other hand, "Apache httpd" is the same as "httpd" since httpd is a part of Apache.
It's like "Irish Guinness" (but, this is another topic ;-))

Lucien