httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Noirin Shirley <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:51:16 GMT
Quick observation from my phone: I've previously considered AWS, but never
suggested it because I thought it was the acronym Amazon used for some of
their stuff.
If I'm wrong on that, I think it's a fine choice.

On 18 Mar 2010 09:37, "Andrew Ford" <A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk> wrote:

Andrew Ford wrote:

> William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>
>> On 3/17/2010 4:43 PM, Andrew Ford wrote:

> >> What is the short name of the "Apache Web Server"?  "Server"?  That
> would be
> >> a problem.  Certa...

Actually, there might be more of a chance of getting a new identity to stick
by calling it "Apache Web Server (AWS)" and then referring to the
abbreviation AWS everywhere.  Then one could say "It is not 'Apache', it is
'Apache Web Server' or 'AWS' for short", and people might start using the
new abbreviation.  As I said before "HTTPD" is ugly - it also sounds to my
Unix hacker's ears like an anonymous HTTP daemon and looks like a random
string of five consonants.  "AWS" is easier to spell out, and doesn't seem
to be in use for any other technical project or body (having googled for
"define: AWS").  It has a certain similarity to "IIS", which might not be a
bad thing.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford                     South Wing Compton House, Compton Green,
Redmarley, Gl...