httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Noirin Shirley <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:09:17 GMT
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Lucien GENTIS
<lucien.gentis@lorraine.iufm.fr> wrote:

> My vote :
>
> Full:
> [  ]  - Apache HTTP Server
>
> Abbreviated:
> [  ]  - httpd
>

> Please no HTTPD, I think it's really confusing.
> On the other hand, "Apache httpd" is the same as "httpd" since httpd is a part of Apache.
It's like "Irish Guinness" (but, this is another topic ;-))

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Apache httpd is not
the same as httpd.

Apache httpd is a synonym for the Apache HTTP Server, presumably. (It
might not be, in certain circumstances, but let's make the argument
simpler.)

httpd is a command, that invokes the Apache HTTP Server. It's *NOT* a
synonym for the project, it's not a synonym for Apache httpd, it's
something you type at a command line.

I have no idea how Guinness is relevant.

Noirin