httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Noirin Shirley <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:13:34 GMT
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
>> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>>> Please note, Apache httpd [always lower case] is the httpd (short name)
>>> application program from the Apache Software Foundation.  Apache HTTP
>>> Server
>>> is the title of the program.  The letters HTTPD in upper case are
>>> nonsense,
>>> because HTTP is capitalized as a specification and acronym, while httpd
>>> is lower case following the convention that the program is installed
>>> with.
>>>
>>> Introducing "Apache HTTPD" [omiting Server], or "HTTPD" or "Apache
>>> Server"
>>> all serve to further confuse this landscape.  And this is certainly not
>>> the work of the Apache HTTPD Server Project ;-)
>>
>> +1, strong preference for "Apache HTTP Server" in the vast majority of
>> non-heres-the-name-of-an-executable references.
>

> Oh, sure, you say that just as soon as I change the last occurrence of
> "Apache HTTP Server (httpd)" to "Apache HTTPD". ;-)
>
> I honestly can't say that I feel strongly about this one way or another, but
> I would like to know what the consensus is so that we can be consistent. It
> doesn't flow well to call it "Apache HTTP Server" every time we mention it
> in the main body of the docs. So we need to agree on a full name variation,
> and an abbreviated variation:
>
> Full:
> [  ]  - Apache HTTP Server
> [  ]  - Apache HTTPD
>
> Abbreviated:
> [  ]  - httpd
> [  ]  - HTTPD
> [  ]  - Apache httpd

My main concern is that it be Really Very Obvious that the abbreviated
version is just that. "Shortening something by omitting parts of it"
makes an abbreviation - not "picking something that is shorter". My
secondary concern is that it be obvious that the name of the project
and the name of the command are different.

So if "Apache HTTP Server" is the full name, I'd be happy with any of
the following abbreviations: "Apache", "HTTP Server", "Apache Server",
"Apache HTTP", "AHS", "Apache HS", etc, etc. (Obviously, some of them
I like better than others - that's ok, looking good wasn't listed in
my concerns above)

My preference would be to come to a consensus here, and then bring it
to the PMC for approval. I'm open to arguments on that one though.

Noirin