httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Noirin Shirley <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:41:38 GMT
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> What I ahve been trying to do is to use 'Apache HTTP Server (httpd)' at the
> beginning of a document, and 'httpd' thereafter. Perhaps Noirin can tell us
> what we should be doing here.

This is a reasonable approach.

If we're going to do a massive sed, my preference would be for Apache
HTTPD and HTTPD, because the capitalisation avoids the confusion
between httpd-the-server and httpd-the-command, and it's fewer words
:-)

Going that way also means you don't have to worry about including the
short form in parentheses after the first reference - it's easy to
intuit that "HTTPD" and "Apache HTTPD" mean the same thing, whereas
it's less obvious what the connection is between "httpd" and "Apache
HTTP Server".

If we're going with Apache HTTP Server and httpd, I think it's
important to *avoid* markup when we mean the webserver, and to
(consistently, if we can!) *use* markup when we mean the command.

Noirin, who's glad to have a use for her book-learnin' ;-)