httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:00:42 GMT

On Mar 16, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Eric Covener wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
> <> wrote:
>> On 3/13/2010 10:41 AM, Noirin Shirley wrote:
>>> If we're going to do a massive sed, my preference would be for
>>> Apache
>>> HTTPD and HTTPD, because the capitalisation avoids the confusion
>>> between httpd-the-server and httpd-the-command, and it's fewer words
>>> :-)
>> Please note, Apache httpd [always lower case] is the httpd (short
>> name)
>> application program from the Apache Software Foundation.  Apache
>> HTTP Server
>> is the title of the program.  The letters HTTPD in upper case are
>> nonsense,
>> because HTTP is capitalized as a specification and acronym, while
>> httpd
>> is lower case following the convention that the program is
>> installed with.
>> Introducing "Apache HTTPD" [omiting Server], or "HTTPD" or "Apache
>> Server"
>> all serve to further confuse this landscape.  And this is certainly
>> not
>> the work of the Apache HTTPD Server Project ;-)
> +1, strong preference for "Apache HTTP Server" in the vast majority of
> non-heres-the-name-of-an-executable references.

Oh, sure, you say that just as soon as I change the last occurrence of
"Apache HTTP Server (httpd)" to "Apache HTTPD". ;-)

I honestly can't say that I feel strongly about this one way or
another, but I would like to know what the consensus is so that we can
be consistent. It doesn't flow well to call it "Apache HTTP Server"
every time we mention it in the main body of the docs. So we need to
agree on a full name variation, and an abbreviated variation:

[  ]  - Apache HTTP Server
[  ]  - Apache HTTPD

[  ]  - httpd
[  ]  - HTTPD
[  ]  - Apache httpd

Are there other options here? Is this something that needs to go to
the PMC, or can we arrive at consensus here?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message