httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Young Kill <myks...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 06:50:54 GMT
Dear bill

My name is Adam  and i would like to contribute to apache project, translating document into
my language, if i can.
i referred to the page on how to contribute and learned i need to subscribe the mailing list
and i did it.
but i am still confused what to do in order for myself to translate to project.

would you refer me to the start-point or link ?
i know you are extremely busy.
thanks so much for your time.

regards,
Adam

________________________________
From: William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
To: docs@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Sun, 7 March, 2010 6:52:21 AM
Subject: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd

Hey there Docs team,

One of the recent board/members level dialogs was about the persistence
and recognition of the name "Apache" as a web server program.

We are unlikely to ever completely fix this in the public perception, but
the program is "httpd", the "Apache HTTP Server".  If you could all help
to identify "Apache" abuse throughout the documentation and web pages, and
transform those to "httpd" for shorthand, that would be a huge help.

Perhaps choosing the program's name to be the name of the foundation was
a mistake, but the least we can do is to help adjust for the reality of
the current structure and framework of our foundation.  It is named "Apache",
The Apache Software Foundation, so wherever we can disambiguate the web
server software's name from our umbrella, it will be appreciated by all
of our sibling projects and fellow committers!

Many thanks,

Bill