httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Andrew Ford <A.F...@ford-mason.co.uk>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:18:22 GMT
William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 3/17/2010 4:43 PM, Andrew Ford wrote:
>
>> In my opinion a better, clearer name would just be Apache Web Server.
>>

> That isn't the name of 2.0/2.2 but I will be happy to add this to STATUS
> as a recommendation for the next iteration :)  The issue in the past is that
> the Tomcat (and now Geronimo) folk can legitimately object to this statement.

"Apache" might not be the official name, but it is more or less what the
world calls it - even on the httpd-users mailing lists most people talk
about the version of "apache" that they are running.  It is also the "A"
in LAMP and people talk about "Apache running over half the world's web
sites".  I think that trying to find a "technically correct name" runs
the risk of confusing people and in fact damaging the wider brand.

I don't see that it is really a problem that the Apache web server has a
special place in the hierarchy.  It was the first project and has such
widespread recognition (a bit like British stamps being the only stamps
that do not include the country name on them).  Most people aren't going
to qualify other Apache project names, such as Apache Tomcat, in normal
usage, and people live with all sorts of ambiguities.

> What is the short name of the "Apache Web Server"?  "Server"?  That would be
> a problem.  Certainly not "Web", and the reason for this entire exercise is
> that the Apache folk decided to let hundreds of other pieces of software
> call themselves "Apache", so that is out, too.

People will continue to refer to it as just "Apache".  The documentation
could refer to it as "the server" or "the web server" or "the httpd
program" as seems appropriate in the context, having established in
introductory material that the proper name was "the Apache Web Server"
(and pointing out that Apache is actually the name of the foundation and
can be applied to a wider set of projects).  To me such usage just
sounds more natural and less forced.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford
South Wing Compton House, Compton Green,