httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Andrew Ford <A.F...@ford-mason.co.uk>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:43:59 GMT
William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 3/17/2010 3:02 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
>> I didn't think that the patch would incur the wrath of Roy.
>>

> I did - which is why my initial response was, uhm, direct.  I'm sorry
> if it also came off as opinionated or confrontational, I was just trying
> to avert the previously-fought battle from reappearing.
>
> I think it's worth noting that our English language expert can easily
> derive "HTTPD" or "HTTPd" forms, so I don't know that Roy's blanket
> criticism of the users/legal/whatever communities is really warranted.
> It just points out that you need to think of any proposed name in terms
> of its plural, possessive and other non-normative forms, and railing
> against flaws of the English language is about a 1000 year old sport :)
>
> Nothing Roy pointed out affects the "next version of httpd" (other than
> speaking for potential bastardizations of "The HTTP Protocol", of which
> he is still an active editor).
>
> It's not too early to start talking (in trunk/STATUS?) of names for the
> next httpd, e.g. 3.0.  If we want to call it "Dee" or whatever, let the
> naming begin :)

I know I am coming in to this discussion very late on, but I find the
name HTTPD (whatever capitalization) ugly and not very user friendly.
It is cumbersome to say the individual letters in English (by contrast
"IIS" rolls off the tongue much more easily).  It seems that in print
everyone refers to the web server as just Apache, or maybe Apache [web]
server.  I doubt that most people outside the project, without a Unix
background, would necessarily understand what HTTPD meant (and debian
and Ubuntu name their package "apache2" anyway).

In my opinion a better, clearer name would just be Apache Web Server.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford
South Wing Compton House, Compton Green,