httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:16:56 GMT
On 3/17/2010 3:02 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I didn't think that the patch would incur the wrath of Roy.

I did - which is why my initial response was, uhm, direct.  I'm sorry
if it also came off as opinionated or confrontational, I was just trying
to avert the previously-fought battle from reappearing.

I think it's worth noting that our English language expert can easily
derive "HTTPD" or "HTTPd" forms, so I don't know that Roy's blanket
criticism of the users/legal/whatever communities is really warranted.
It just points out that you need to think of any proposed name in terms
of its plural, possessive and other non-normative forms, and railing
against flaws of the English language is about a 1000 year old sport :)

Nothing Roy pointed out affects the "next version of httpd" (other than
speaking for potential bastardizations of "The HTTP Protocol", of which
he is still an active editor).

It's not too early to start talking (in trunk/STATUS?) of names for the
next httpd, e.g. 3.0.  If we want to call it "Dee" or whatever, let the
naming begin :)