httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:45:11 GMT
On 3/17/2010 6:37 AM, Rich Bowen wrote
> It appears that the majority is in favor of 'Apache HTTP Server' when
> referred to in full, but there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus of
> how this should be abbreviated, so that we don't have to say the full
> name every time.
>
> Example sentences:
>
> In deciding what file to serve for a given request, httpd's
>     default behavior is to take the URL-Path for the request (the part
>     of the URL following the hostname and port) and add it to the end
>     of the <directive module="core">DocumentRoot</directive> specified
>     in your configuration files.

I don't find this ambiguous.  Let's choose a worse one

  To determine the default settings compiled in when httpd was initially built,
  there is an option <code>httpd -v</code> to display such parameters.

(Forget for the moment that both readings are valid and assume the first
only applies to the entire application.)  I'm still not seeing a horrible
issue, but in the really ambiguious case, we can reword to;

  To determine the default settings compiled in when Apache HTTP Server was
  initially built, there is an option <code>httpd -v</code> to display such
  parameters.

> Apache is also capable of <a href="vhosts/">Virtual
>     Hosting</a>, where the server receives requests for more than one
>     host.
>
> httpd offers several different ways to accomplish this.

These are easy, "Apache httpd {verb} [...]." or "Apache HTTP Server {verb} [...]."
This is how I usually work around fixed-case issues.