httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:13:11 GMT
On 3/16/2010 8:11 AM, Mark Watts wrote:

> I think you're going to be fighting a similar battle to the "GNU/Linux"
> vs "Linux" vs "linux" folks.

:)

> Joe Public says "Apache" when he means "httpd".
> Similarly, he doesn't say "Apache Tomcat", merely "Tomcat".
>
> Granted, the documentation needs to be consistent with whatever is
> chosen here but I suspect this will pass un-noticed to most of our
> user-base.

I think we all accept this.  The issue is more of normalization and
canonicalization.  About the only time we can influence this is if some
publisher comes to us for permission to use ASF trademarks (e.g. the
Feather) - many companies/orgs fire back a usage document spelling out
how it is to be presented, etc.  That would be a good place to document
the 'official convention', whatever this turns out to be :)

The only thing we agree on, for certain, is that the program should not
be shorthanded as 'Apache' anymore.  But changing it here won't correct
the boundless third party documentation and commentary on the web, and
the Foundation just has to accept this.