httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 02:23:32 GMT
On 3/13/2010 10:41 AM, Noirin Shirley wrote:

> If we're going to do a massive sed, my preference would be for Apache
> HTTPD and HTTPD, because the capitalisation avoids the confusion
> between httpd-the-server and httpd-the-command, and it's fewer words
> :-)

Please note, Apache httpd [always lower case] is the httpd (short name)
application program from the Apache Software Foundation.  Apache HTTP Server
is the title of the program.  The letters HTTPD in upper case are nonsense,
because HTTP is capitalized as a specification and acronym, while httpd
is lower case following the convention that the program is installed with.

Introducing "Apache HTTPD" [omiting Server], or "HTTPD" or "Apache Server"
all serve to further confuse this landscape.  And this is certainly not
the work of the Apache HTTPD Server Project ;-)

> Going that way also means you don't have to worry about including the
> short form in parentheses after the first reference - it's easy to
> intuit that "HTTPD" and "Apache HTTPD" mean the same thing, whereas
> it's less obvious what the connection is between "httpd" and "Apache
> HTTP Server".

True perhaps, but not worth the confusion.

> If we're going with Apache HTTP Server and httpd, I think it's
> important to *avoid* markup when we mean the webserver, and to
> (consistently, if we can!) *use* markup when we mean the command.

Yes, we will need to be very explicit and use <code>httpd</code> whenever
we mean to instruct the user to invoke the httpd command, e.g.

  <code>httpd -t</code>

> Noirin, who's glad to have a use for her book-learnin' ;-)

Thanks Noirin!

Bill [who's glad to have book-learn't contributors at docs!]