httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 20:52:21 GMT
Hey there Docs team,

One of the recent board/members level dialogs was about the persistence
and recognition of the name "Apache" as a web server program.

We are unlikely to ever completely fix this in the public perception, but
the program is "httpd", the "Apache HTTP Server".  If you could all help
to identify "Apache" abuse throughout the documentation and web pages, and
transform those to "httpd" for shorthand, that would be a huge help.

Perhaps choosing the program's name to be the name of the foundation was
a mistake, but the least we can do is to help adjust for the reality of
the current structure and framework of our foundation.  It is named "Apache",
The Apache Software Foundation, so wherever we can disambiguate the web
server software's name from our umbrella, it will be appreciated by all
of our sibling projects and fellow committers!

Many thanks,

Bill