httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Lucien GENTIS <lucien.gen...@lorraine.iufm.fr>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:31:37 GMT

Le 16 mars 2010 à 15:09, Noirin Shirley a écrit :

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Lucien GENTIS
> <lucien.gentis@lorraine.iufm.fr> wrote:
>>
>> My vote :
>>
>> Full:
>> [  ]  - Apache HTTP Server
>>
>> Abbreviated:
>> [  ]  - httpd
>>

>> Please no HTTPD, I think it's really confusing.
>> On the other hand, "Apache httpd" is the same as "httpd" since httpd is a part of
Apache. It's like "Irish Guinness" (but, this is another topic ;-))

> I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Apache httpd is not
> the same as httpd.
>
> Apache httpd is a synonym for the Apache HTTP Server, presumably. (It
> might not be, in certain circumstances, but let's make the argument
> simpler.)

All I was trying to say is that if we talk about httpd in the doc, we don't need to prepend
it with "Apache" ; we know we don't talk about CERN httpd, or W3C httpd.

> httpd is a command, that invokes the Apache HTTP Server. It's *NOT* a
> synonym for the project, it's not a synonym for Apache httpd, it's
> something you type at a command line.

Oh Oh !  Perhaps I missed something (all in all I'm just a translator), but as far as I'm
concerned, httpd actually is the server itself (not the project) and the main subject of the
documentation whom we talk, even if we also talk about apachectl, htpasswd, etc. ; I don't
know what you mean when you say it invokes the Apache HTTP Server.

> I have no idea how Guinness is relevant.
>
> Noirin

Because, as when we think about httpd, we also think about Apache, when we think about Guinness,
we also think about Ireland (at least for me)

Happy St Patrick

Lucien