httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:53:42 GMT

On 18 Mar 2010, at 08:37, Andrew Ford wrote:

>> People will continue to refer to it as just "Apache".  The documentation could refer
to it as "the server" or "the web server" or "the httpd program" as seems appropriate in the
context, having established in introductory material that the proper name was "the Apache
Web Server" (and pointing out that Apache is actually the name of the foundation and can be
applied to a wider set of projects).  To me such usage just sounds more natural and less forced.

+1.  "Apache" works as a name.  "Apache2" works, and is out there.  Clumsy
things like "HTTPD" don't work as a name, and wrapping it only works so long
as there's a contraction ("apache[2]") people can use in real life.

> Actually, there might be more of a chance of getting a new identity to stick by calling
it "Apache Web Server (AWS)" and then referring to the abbreviation AWS everywhere.

Rather ugly and a hostage to fortune.  Do you talk out of your AWS?

>   .  It has a certain similarity to "IIS", which might not be a bad thing.

Interesting association.  But we're the senior server, not them!  Aping their name
feels like putting ourselves into the junior spot.  MS marketing will love us!

--
Nick Kew