httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mark Watts <m.wa...@eris.qinetiq.com>
Subject Re: Suexec doc (Was Re: Fixing confusion of Apache vs httpd)
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:11:04 GMT

> Oh, sure, you say that just as soon as I change the last occurrence of
> "Apache HTTP Server (httpd)" to "Apache HTTPD". ;-)
>
> I honestly can't say that I feel strongly about this one way or
> another, but I would like to know what the consensus is so that we can
> be consistent. It doesn't flow well to call it "Apache HTTP Server"
> every time we mention it in the main body of the docs. So we need to
> agree on a full name variation, and an abbreviated variation:
>
> Full:
> [  ]  - Apache HTTP Server
> [  ]  - Apache HTTPD
>
> Abbreviated:
> [  ]  - httpd
> [  ]  - HTTPD
> [  ]  - Apache httpd
>
> Are there other options here? Is this something that needs to go to
> the PMC, or can we arrive at consensus here?
>
> --Rich

I think you're going to be fighting a similar battle to the "GNU/Linux"
vs "Linux" vs "linux" folks.

Joe Public says "Apache" when he means "httpd".
Similarly, he doesn't say "Apache Tomcat", merely "Tomcat".

Granted, the documentation needs to be consistent with whatever is
chosen here but I suspect this will pass un-noticed to most of our
user-base.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower