httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: Performance tuning documentation
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:38:50 GMT

----- "Sander Temme" <sander@temme.net> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > The performance tuning documentation that we currently include in
> the docs is simply awful. What with the comments about Apache 1.2 and
> the suggestions of how to deal with the new Linux 2.0 kernel, I think
> it's beyond fixing. It needs to be tossed and rewritten - although
> perhaps there are parts that are salvageable.

There are a few parts that might still be usable, like the choice of
the MPM.

> I am willing to contribute my performance talk material, since I don't
> really give that presentation anymore.  I have very few cycles, but
> would be willing to help work on making it suitable for inclusion in
> the httpd docs.

Unfortunately, I've never been at any of your talks. I hope I'm not
leaning too far out the window with my suggestion here

> Over the years, I have tried to concentrate more on the tuning knobs
> available to the average admin, rather than dig into the operating
> system or httpd code.

I've been wondering: httpd is very complex. It can be an

* Application Server, serving SSI, CGI, PHP, Perl, Ruby, Python...
* SSL-Off-loading, Caching reverse-proxy that understands
* multiple protocols
* etc..

So a good good starting point for developing our new docs could be to
show the admins - who are our target audience - not developers, I
believe - what can be done generally (briefly: File-system, OS, network)
and what can be done within httpd -- in those scenarios.

Maybe you have other use-cases in mind...

The trouble here is with the first listed: We might be venturing into
foreign waters.

Bye,
--
Igor Galić