Hi Folks,
The HEADER directive section of the mod_headers documentation needs some clarification/correction (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_headers.html#header)
The documentation needs to properly define the numbering of the arguments.
The syntax mentioned is : Header [condition] set|append|add|unset|echo header [value] [env=[!]variable]
In this syntax, I see five arguments (parameters).
First – Condition
Second – Actions (set|append|add|unset|echo)
Third – Header (name)
Fourth – Value
Fifth – environment variable

The text however mentions “action” as second argument, which is correct, but also mentions “value” as the third argument, which is incorrect.
Can someone clarify/correct this to avoid ambiguity in the numbering of the arguments?

This was brought to my attention by one of the Apache web server users, when they received a startup error “HEADER requires 3 arguments”. They wanted clarification on what constitutes 3 arguments as indicated in the error, if one wishes to use the “condition” argument as well. Not sure if there is a need to refine the error message as well, related to HEADER directive misconfiguration.

Thanks.
-Sreedhar Rao