httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Your mod_rewrite tutorial
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:26:11 GMT
Joseph,

I just saw your new mod_rewrite tutorial - http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/a-deeper-look-at-mod_rewrite-for-apache/

  - and it was firmly in the category "much better than most." I left
you a few comments, but for the most part I thought you did a great
job of explaining things.

I'm on the Apache documentation team. Over the last six months or so,
we've been doing a major rewrite of the docs, because they are bloody
awful, and serve to scare away a lot of people who could otherwise be
helped by them. The "Voodoo" remarks don't help, do they? The new docs
are here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/rewrite

I particularly liked your diagrams, and was wondering if you would be
willing to donate them to the Apache Software Foundation for use in
the mod_rewrite documentation. The docs, as you know, have this
diagram: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/images/mod_rewrite_fig1.gif

It's confusing, to say the least, and I was wondering if we could have
your permission to replace it with this one: http://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/flow_chart.png

I was also very fond of http://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/syntax_rewriterule.png

  and http://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/syntax_rewritecond.png
  and http://nettuts.s3.cdn.plus.org/435_htaccess/images/url_full.png
and would like to use those too, with your permission.

Heck, while we're at it, would you consider subscribing to the
documentation mailing list (docs-subscribe@httpd.apache.org) and
coming along to help us out with the mod_rewrite docs rewrite? We
could use your flair for step-by-step explanation and diagraming.

Thanks, and I hope you'll be willing to come help us out.

Rich Bowen, for the Apache HTTPd Documentation project

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@apache.org