httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: Performance tuning documentation
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:39:13 GMT

----- "Graham Leggett" <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > The performance tuning documentation that we currently include in
> the
> > docs is simply awful. What with the comments about Apache 1.2 and
> the
> > suggestions of how to deal with the new Linux 2.0 kernel, I think
> it's
> > beyond fixing. It needs to be tossed and rewritten - although
> perhaps
> > there are parts that are salvageable.
> >
> > I was wondering if someone has a performance doc that they could
> > contribute as a starting place? Perhaps Sander's talk from AC? Or
> if
> > someone would be willing to give some attention to the docs list for
> > while to assist in writing something that would be useful to actual
> > admins in the real world.
>
> Something else related that I think we should address are our default
> config files and performance.
>
> Up till now, the build has assumed that if a module was built, then a
> LoadModule line should appear in the default config file for that
> module. Because distros typically compile most (if not all) of the
> modules, most (if not all) of the modules end up being loaded into
> the
> server by default, in turn meaning lots of hook calling and
> per-request
> config parsing is being done for no reason.

It's been a long time now, but I still remember Rich asking for a
Apache httpd starting *without* a config.
I'm not sure this is easily doable, but I'm pretty confident that
we can slim down the basic config (httpd.conf) to a very minimalistic
level and put all the fluff in extra

Matthew's configs are pretty good example of how to do it right:

http://www.linux-corner.info/httpd/httpd.conf
http://www.linux-corner.info/httpd/httpd-simple.conf

They are short and quite clear on what they,

> [snip]

So long
--
Igor Galić