httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: document translation infrastructure?
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:41:22 GMT
(adding docs@httpd cc)

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Miles Libbey <mlibbey@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi folks-
> We have a volunteer to translate our documentation from English into Korean.
>  Any recommendations for translation management/infrastructure? That is-- as
> the english documentation changes, is there any software that can help to
> find out of date or new strings/sections?

I would recommend looking at or copying how the httpd project handles
documentation translation.

<http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html>  Explains some
of the basics.

For translations, the build keeps track of what subversion revs
changes a english version of the document, and then modifies the
non-english translations with information about the missing revisions.
 On the generated output, it also automatically adds a banner saying
that the file is out of date compared to the english version.

A concrete example:
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/bind.xml>
is the current english version of the bind() docs.'

the meta file keeps track of which translations are outdated:
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/bind.xml.meta>

If you look at the german translation:
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/bind.xml.de>
You can see it keeps a comment at the top of the file, tracking the
SVN revisions the english version has over the german version:
<!-- English Revision: 420990:587444 (outdated) -->

For the translater, they can then run svn log/diff over that rev range
and update their translation.

This system seems to work pretty well for docs@httpd, and I imagine it
could be adopted to raw HTML.

Someone from docs@httpd could likely explain it better....