httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite @ hackathon
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:20:17 GMT

On 29 Oct 2009, at 10:48, Mads Toftum wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:05:59AM +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
>> I won't be there,
>
> Me neither.
>
>> but if you're on IRC, I might take an interest in
>> working
>> concurrently on "mod_rewrite is obsolete", a guide to often-simpler
>> alternatives based on the examples in the rewriteguide.
>>
>> Oh, and it won't show mod_rewrite obsolete in all applications.
>> Hopefully it'll give readers a much clearer idea of the subset of
>> current use cases where it is indeed a good option :)
>>
> I'm not sure I completely agree on mod_rewrite being obsolete :)
> However, I used to use examples of what not to do in mod_rewrite as
> the
> first part of my apachecon mod_rewrite talk.

Yes, I remember that, and your work from back then could be a
nice start to an "is obsolete" doc.

> Should we just go ahead and make a "when not to use mod_rewrite
> guide"?

That's the general idea :)

But my major theme is that we're not just talking about the classics:
mod_alias, or re-inventing content negotiation and getting it wrong
(to be fair, neither was your talk).  The common usage that seems
to generate most pain among users if where it gets turned into a
horribly awkward scripting language with the two commands
RewriteCond=Single-IF and RewriteRule=GOTO + side-effects,
which is also obsoleted in trunk.

--
Nick Kew