httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite @ hackathon
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 00:05:59 GMT

On 28 Oct 2009, at 18:32, Rich Bowen wrote:

> A while back I split the mod_rewrite "guide" into two files, mostly
> because the one was way too long.
>
> That was a mistake, since the division between basic and advanced is
> pretty arbitrary, and now nobody can find anything.
>
> I'm planning to spend whatever time I have at the hackathon next
> week splicing them back together and considering whether a more
> sensible division would work - perhaps by topic, or by ... I don't
> know. Suggestions welcomed. Yes, I should have started this thread
> weeks ago, but it's been pretty busy chez moi, and this is the first
> day I've really had time to think about the hackathon.
>
> And I need to work on my mod_perl presentation, too, so the two
> things go together pretty well. Ideally, my mod_perl presentation is
> something of a rewrite guide style anyways.

I won't be there, but if you're on IRC, I might take an interest in
working
concurrently on "mod_rewrite is obsolete", a guide to often-simpler
alternatives based on the examples in the rewriteguide.

Oh, and it won't show mod_rewrite obsolete in all applications.
Hopefully it'll give readers a much clearer idea of the subset of
current use cases where it is indeed a good option :)

--
Nick Kew