httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite @ hackathon
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:48:18 GMT
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:05:59AM +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
> I won't be there,

Me neither.

> but if you're on IRC, I might take an interest in
> working
> concurrently on "mod_rewrite is obsolete", a guide to often-simpler
> alternatives based on the examples in the rewriteguide.
>
> Oh, and it won't show mod_rewrite obsolete in all applications.
> Hopefully it'll give readers a much clearer idea of the subset of
> current use cases where it is indeed a good option :)

I'm not sure I completely agree on mod_rewrite being obsolete :)
However, I used to use examples of what not to do in mod_rewrite as the
first part of my apachecon mod_rewrite talk. If memory serves me right,
there was five or so examples of things done in mod_rewrite that were
best done elsewhere. I still think they serve as a good way of showing
what mod_rewrite is capable of and I'd be happy to dig them out and add
them to the docs if that'd be any help.
Should we just go ahead and make a "when not to use mod_rewrite guide"?

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk