httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: Let's stop marking XML of translations outdated
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:03:50 GMT
* Takashi Sato wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:49:03 +0000
>
> Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> > André Malo wrote:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > > The whole point of the comment is to see which exact revisions of the
> > > original file you have to diff to see the changes.
> > >
> > > -1.
> >
> > Agreed,
> >
> > Very useful for diff's as Andre says.
> >
> > -1
>
> I don't mean to drop the whole comment.
> I just want to drop ":xxxxxx (outdated)".
>
> I don't see usefulness of ":xxxxxx (outdated)" since whether it is
> reliable depends on whether someone commit transformations.
>
> We can specify the revision HEAD:
> svn diff -r 600000:HEAD sitemap.xml
> People who don't use subversion client can open the original file to see
> the current revision.

I see...
The reason for the second revision is to avoid race conditions. Translators
don't always keep up with the current checkins. So the suggested workflow
behind all this is:

- svn diff -r<pasted> <originalfile> | <viewer>
- <editor> translatedfile
  - update
  - delete revision before colon
- (build validate-xml)
- checkin
- update transformation (the comment is adjusted)
- checkin

The update phase is arbitrarily long and we had it already that the original
was updated in the meantime.

The next time the repos is updated and the transformation is run for the
particular language, the comment is adjusted again.

And the (outdated) comment can be grepped for.

Hope that explains better the intentions. Maybe we should document that
better.

nd