httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Tero Lampiluoto" <lampilu...@gmail.com>
Subject [Httpd Wiki] ClientDeniedByServerConfiguration
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:06:36 GMT
Hello,

I decided to ask opinion before editing.

Subjects wiki page revision #7 (2008-01-26) gives wrong information
in "You need a <Location> or <Proxy> block for your proxy".
Reverse proxy configuration does not require Location/Proxy.

The confusion is that certain distros (debian--) add
"<Proxy *>" -block with "Deny from all" by default if one loads
mod_proxy (see Debians /etc/apache2/mods-available/proxy.conf).
Adding Proxy block with reverse proxies is pretty much wrong in
the first place and that has implications as you either
a) need to remove the default Proxy block
b) need to add Location or Proxy block which negates the default
    "Deny from all".

But .. to my point. There are bunch of Debian users around and
for them that wiki information probably is helpful. They get their
service working even though the actual mistake is elsewhere.

So do you think we should leave it be, add something about
default Proxy block or remove that information.

Addition could be like:
-<p>This Location block will allow Apache to proxy content for /foo. </p>
+<p>This Location block will allow Apache to proxy content for /foo. This
+Location block is only needed if there is earlier Proxy or Location block
+denying access to this resource.</p>

Regards,
lamp

--