I've finally resurfaced, and am once again tinkering with the mod_rewrite documentation. My goal is to have the rewrite guide be full of actual useful real-world examples, and stuff that folks are actually asking on IRC and the users@ list, and to have the explanations be actual explanations, rather than just "don't think, just do this" recipes.

I'd also like to get all of the stuff in the ill-fated rewrite.drbacchus.com into either the real docs, or into the official wiki, so that I can retire that hardware before it gives up the ghost.

So I expect for a while it will look like I'm just flailing about aimlessly, but I have a general plan in mind, and I hope I'm moving in that direction. Although one can hope that HTTPD 3.0 will make mod_rewrite nothing more than an unpleasant memory, for the moment it's one of our biggest support burdens, at least on IRC, and I naively believe that this could be helped by better documentation, and better examples.

I think I've decided to focus on the trunk docs, but if someone wanted to apply patches to 2.2, I expect that there are folks who would appreciate that. I don't know how cleanly the patches will apply back to 2.0, but perhaps that's worth doing, too.

--Rich

--
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.
(Nathaniel Borenstein)